Full screen zoom

<< Previous page

Fox Hunting-subject Large & Remarkable Needlework Picture of

Fox Hunting-subject Large Needlework Picture

of "The Duke of Kingston Going a Setting at Thoresby,"

Signed & Dated by Hannah Aulerts 1792.

The fine needlework depicts The Duke of Kingston in the center with a black assistant ( a story to be discovered!) with other huntsmen around.  He is watching his hounds drinking at a stream.  In the background is Thoresby. After Peters Tilleman' "A view of his Grace, The Duke of Kingston's house at Thoresby with his grace's attendants going a setting.

The needlework is now mounted on an acid-free fabric mounted on a stretcher.

After a painting by Pieter Tillemans, in the collection of Earl Manvers at Thoresby Park, Nottinghamshire.


Framed: 35 1/4 inches x 31 inches x 2 1/4 inches deep

Unframed Sight size: 20 1/4 inches x 29 1/4 inches.

Robert Pierrepont, 1st Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull acquired the Thoresby lands in 1633, but was killed in the Civil War in 1643. His son Henry Pierrepont, the 2nd Earl, built the first grand house, attributed to the architect Talman, about 1670. The house was remodelled for William Pierrepont, the 4th Earl, during 1685–87, probably by Benjamin Jackson, after the earl had been granted the right in 1683 to create the park by enclosure from Sherwood Forest. The 5th Earl was created the 1st Duke of Kingston in 1715.

The estate passed to Evelyn Pierrepont, 2nd Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull (1711–1773), who fought at the Battle of Culloden in 1746 and during whose ownership the house was destroyed by fire that same year. Twenty years later the architect John Carr during 1767–1772 built a new house on the same site. Humphry Repton landscaped the park at the same time.

When the 2nd Duke died in 1773 he left the estate to his wife, Elizabeth Chudleigh, the former wife of the Earl of Bristol. After a very public court case, she was declared married bigamously to the duke and obliged to surrender the property on her death in 1786 to the duke's nephew, Charles Medows, a Royal Navy officer. He adopted the name Pierrepont and later became the 1st Earl Manvers.



After Peter Tillemans,  (1684-1734);

A view of his Grace the Duke of Kingston's house at Thoresby, with his Grace & attendants going a setting.  circa 1770;  Line engraving, by Pritchard.

This is a reduced version of a view (on two plates) published (according to Siltzer) by Sayer with an image area of 28 1/2 x 16 inches. Peter Tillemans "came to England from Antwerp in 1708. His first commissions were to paint topographical views... Each required figures to give life to the well-painted landscapes and what was more natural than to show some of the people mounted... his large and busily populated pictures of Newmarket Heath have considerable charm. The influence of his friend John Wotton is most pronounced in his horse portraiture while his compositions owe something to Francis Barlow. Tillemans' patrons included all the principal race-horse owners of the period... He must have known Newmarket well, already established as the home of the turf... Tillemans' influence on later sporting artists is considerable... The engravings after his Newmarket paintings provide a fascinating record of training and horse management when the turf was developing quickly in the hands of the aristocracy of the period." (Charles Lane British Racing Prints p.173)

Mellon British Sporting and Animal Prints p. 187; Schwerdt III, p124; cf. Siltzer p.274 (large version only).

Evelyn Pierrepont, 2nd Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull (1711-1773)

Evelyn was the only son of William Pierrepont, Earl of Kingston. He was styled Earl of Kingston 1713-15, and Marquess of Dorchester 1715-26, before succeeding his grandfather as 2nd Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull in 1726.

He was sent to Eton in 1725, and the following year went on the Grand Tour, spending ten years on the Continent and becoming known for gambling and loose living. In 1736 he returned to England with his mistress, Marie-Thérèse de Fontaine de la Touche, who became a British subject, and who remained with him until 1750.

The duke had little interest in politics and did not take any part in governmental affairs. However, he acquired several local offices, such as Master of the Staghounds North of Trent in 1738, and Lord Lieutenant of Nottinghamshire and Steward of Sherwood Forest 1763-65. He was invested as a Knight of the Garter in March 1740/1.

He took an active part in suppressing the Jacobite uprising in 1745, raising and becoming Colonel of his own Regiment, 'Kingston's Light Horse', which fought at the Battle of Culloden. He became Major General in 1753, Lieutenant General in 1759, and General in 1772.

Thoresby Hall was virtually destroyed by fire in 1745. The duke employed John Carr of York to design a new house, which was completed by 1772. He died in September 1773 in his other main residence, Holme Pierrepont Hall, upon which the title of Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull became extinct. He willed his estates to his wife for life; after her death in 1788 they passed to his nephew Charles Medows .

Engraved portraits of the Duke and his wife are available on the website of the National Portrait Gallery .


If you would like to see the retail price of this item, please register with us.


Send the image and details to a friend:
Your Name:
Friend's Email: