Full screen zoom

<< Previous page

Bradley & Hubbard Dolphin Andirons, Meriden, Connecticut, Circa 1886-1900.


Bradley & Hubbard Dolphin Andirons,

Meriden, Connecticut,

Circa 1886-1900.


The pair of cast iron facing andirons are made in the form of dolphins with scrolled tails  with dogs attached by means of a dovetail joint.


Dimensions: 14 1/4 inches high x 10 1/4 inches wide x 20 1/4 inches deep.


Bradley & Hubbard

Reference:

http://www.si.edu/oahp/bradley_hubbard/thebradleyhubbardmfgco.htm


The partnership of Nathaniel and William L. Bradley, Walter Hubbard, and Orson and Chitten Hatch began in Meriden, Connecticut in1852 as Bradley, Hatch & Company. Clocks were the sole product of the newly formed company.


When the Hatch brothers sold their interests in the firm two years later, Nathaniel Bradley, William Bradley and Walter Hubbard formed a company which they named simply Bradley and Hubbard. By 1856, they were producing call bells and sewing machines, but clocks continued to be the main line of production throughout the 1850's and 1860's. Many northern manufacturers prospered immensely during the Civil War due to the expanded market west of the Mississippi and increased foreign exports. Bradley and Hubbard was no exception, adding the production of flags, hoop skirts, spring measuring tapes and match safes during the war years.


The discovery of oil in Pennsylvania in 1859 also had a great impact on the product line of Bradley & Hubbard with the decision to begin production of kerosene burning lamps. By 1871, kerosene virtually replaced whale oil for heating and illumination and new ways of burning it more efficiently were needed. Between 1868 and 1875, Bradley and Hubbard secured 33 patents relating to the design and mechanics of oil burning lamps (in all, the company would eventually patent a total of 238 designs and mechanical devices). The company was again reorganized in 1875, this time as a joint stock company renamed The Bradley and Hubbard Manufacturing Company.


Growing rapidly throughout the 1880's, the company added new products such as architectural grilles, railings, fences, window guards, and elevator enclosures. By the 1890's, the Bradley and Hubbard name was synonymous with high quality and artistic merit. Their products were marketed not only in their own showrooms in New York, Boston, Chicago and Philadelphia, but also by a force of salesmen traveling throughout the country and by the large retail firms of Marshall Field & Company, Sears and Roebuck & Company, and Montgomery Ward & Company.










If you would like to see the retail price of this item, please register with us.

 

Send the image and details to a friend:
Your Name:
Friend's Email:
Subject: