Full screen zoom

<< Previous page

Pair of British Folk Portraits, John Hamilton & Ms. Higgins from Mersetyside, On Card, Dated 1834.

Pair of Folk Portraits,

John Hamilton & Ms. Higgins,

On Card,

Dated 1834.

The pair of portraits depict a young man and woman, each named on the reverse on an unusual bright orange ground on card.

Dimensions: 10 inches high x 9 inches wide (Sight: 5 1/2 inches x 4 1/2 inches)

The Man with the following inscription on the reverse:

John Hamilton

over 40 years mason on the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, under Jesse Hartley, the Engineer.

Member of the first National Excutive Committee of the Operative Stone Mason Society.

(Sketched by local artist 1834)

The Mersey Docks and Harbour Company (MDHC), formerly the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board (MDHB), owns and administers the dock facilities of the Port of Liverpool, on the River Mersey, England. These include the operation of the enclosed northern dock system that runs from Prince's Dock to Seaforth Dock, in the city of Liverpool and the dock facilities built around the Great Float of the Wirral Peninsula, located on the west side of the river.

Liverpool Common Council's Dock Committee was the original port authority. In 1709 it had been authorised to construct Liverpool's first enclosed ship basin, the Old Dock, which was the world's first commercial wet dock. By 1750 the old Dock Committee was replaced by the Liverpool Dock Trustees.

In order to provide stone for the construction of the expanded dock system, from 1830 the trustees (and later the MDHB) operated large quarries at Creetown, Scotland.

The Mersey Docks and Harbour Board took over running of Liverpool's docks from the trustees in 1858. The need for Liverpool Corporation to divest its dock interests to a new public body was as a result of pressure from Parliament, dock merchants and some rival port operators.


If you would like to see the retail price of this item, please register with us.


Send the image and details to a friend:
Your Name:
Friend's Email: