Full screen zoom

<< Previous page

Sailor's Woolwork of HMS Neptune Fully Dressed with Sailors on the Yardarms,


Sailor's Woolwork of HMS Neptune Fully Dressed with Sailors on the Yardarms,

Circa 1865.


The sailor's woolie depicts the Third Rate HMS Neptune fully dressed with the sailors on the yardarms.  The name HMS Neptune is displayed on a banner below.  The Neptune is shown with a portside view on a calm, deep blue sea.  Two other small sailing ships can be seen to either side of banner.  A Union Jack is flown depicting the presence of an Admiral on board.


Dimensions: 24 inches high x 29 1/4 inches wide x 1 inch deep.


HMS Neptune was built initially as a 120-gun first rate Caledonia-class ship of the line of the Royal Navy and launched on 22 September 1832 at Portsmouth.  She was rebuilt as a 72-gun third rate with screw propulsion in 1859 and it is that version seen in this woolie.


The Caledonia-class ships of the line were a class of nine 120-gun first rates, designed for the Royal Navy by Sir William Rule. A tenth ship (Royal Frederick) was ordered on 29 October 1827 to the same design, but was launched in 1833 as Queen to a fresh design by Sir William Symonds.


The armament remained the same for the first three ships of the class, with the exception of an increase in firepower on the poop deck from 2 to 6 18-pounder carronades. The armament for the fourth ship was significantly modified, with two of the 32-pounders on the main gun deck being replaced with 68-pounder carronades, all guns on the middle and upper gun decks being replaced with the same number of 32-pounders, four of the 12-pounder guns on the quarterdeck were replaced with 32-pounder carronades, and the remaining two were increased to 18-pounders, along with the two 12-pounders on the forecastle, and the carronades on the poop deck were removed. The remaining five ships (including the Neptune) were built to a slightly broadened version of the draught, and this sub-class was armed in the same way as the last of the standard Caledonias, HMS Royal George. Except for Caledonia herself, all these ships were converted into steam-powered screw battleships during the 1850s.



She was built at Portsmouth Dockyard & laid down in January 1827. She was launched on 22 September 1832.











If you would like to see the retail price of this item, please register with us.

 

Send the image and details to a friend:
Your Name:
Friend's Email:
Subject: